The Home of Historical Costume Making
Your Wardrobe Unlock'd is the place where beginner, intermediate and advanced makers alike get the tools and inspiration to launch their creative dreams. Members have access to an unrivalled range of over 400 in-depth tutorials, articles and how-tos concerning all aspects of the historical dressmaker's and tailor's craft.
We have built this unique treasure trove over the growing number of years since our November 2007 launch, and we are still building, adding a new article to the library every Saturday to create a classroom that continually grows and improves in response to your needs.
It's the modern day, online apprenticeship that puts you in control of your learning, whatever your level.
- A deep and broad archive of resources ranging from Anglo-Saxon to 20th century period costume.
- Annual Costume Competition: Get inspired, get seen, get admired, vote for your favourites and win.
- You have control: We survey our members regularly and actively use the results to plan and commission future articles and make improvements to the site.
- Learn from the best: ALL of the content on the site is unique and exclusive and written either by professional costumers or by respected hobbyists with years of experience (read about our writers here).
Example free articles
- Unusual Regency clothing: Serena Dyer of Dressing History looks at real examples of lesser-known Regency styles in order to help you avoid the "standard " Jane Austen costume drama look and come up with something original, yet period correct.
- Victorian Evening Hairstyles: The perfect gown is only complete with the perfect hair and accessories. Professional milliner Lynn McMasters (lynnmcmasters.com) breaks down those seemingly complex Victorian hairstyles and shows you how to recreate them.
- Setting in 18th century sleeves: Katherine Caron-Greig of www.koshka-the-cat.com shows you how, with museum examples and step-by-step photographs.
- Pattern drafting series: Jennie Chancey of Sense and Sensibility patterns shows you how to make your own patterns - and even how to grade them, ready to sell.
- Three Simple Secrets: For beginner costumers, here are the three biggest, simplest things that can instantly take your costumes up a notch.
- Taming the Stash: Not a beginner? Got a stash problem? Here's how to manage your fabric, trim, patterns, buttons, and other costuming materials before they take over your home!
When you subscribe, you will also have the option to join our sister site Foundations Revealed, which covers all aspects of corset making in the same way, plus bra making and vintage lingerie, enabling you to create the ideal foundations for your fabulous clothes.
Membership types and prices
College courses cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and only cover the basics of the craft. Classes and conventions complement your learning now and then, but are expensive to attend and last only a day or two.
Your Wardrobe Unlock'd Membership offers
- Instant access to all the costume making resources you could possibly need, around the clock, 365 days a year
- Always at your fingertips so that you can learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace
- When you sign up, we ask that you contribute $14.97 per month to help fund the costs of the site, with the option to cancel at any time. This fee supports the costuming community at large by paying our hardworking writers and staff, and covers the running costs of this enormous website.
When you subscribe, you will also have the option to join our sister site Foundations Revealed, which covers all aspects of specialist corset making and bra making in a depth we don't have room for on this site, enabling you to hone your skills and make fabulous, professional level underpinnings to accompany your costumes.
We're ready to help you grow into the maker you know you could be. So what are you waiting for?