SIGN UP
Log in

Log in

My Account    |    Sign Up!



Schoolboy Skirts

Emmalia HarringtonEmmalia HarringtonEmmalia HarringtonEmmalia Harrington

 

My entry was inspired by the book The Tudor Child by Jane Huggett and Ninya Mikhaila and its description of school aged boys in ankle length skirts, a rarity in 2016!

The shirt was made from materials in my stash and drafted using guidelines in the book. It was entirely hand sewn, with all edges hemmed before they were whipstitched together. The neck slit is finished with a buttonhole stitch, as I had no desire to hem something potentially fiddly.

The stockings are made from a worn out knit shirt. Younger boys were more likely to wear knit rather than woven stockings, but I didn’t want to work with very tiny knitting needles. By using an old shirt, I’m cutting down old clothing to fit a smaller person, a period tactic for clothing children. The stocking pattern comes from “Dolly Dolly” magazine, volume 24, and is machine sewn, as I’m not confident with handsewing knit cloth.

The kirtle is made from light brown suiting weight wool, with a bodice lined in muslin/calico and hook and eye closures. Like the shirt, the kirtle is entire handsewn in the hem and whip method. The bodice was draped on my doll and the skirt drafted from rectangles. The blue stripes were in the selvedge of the wool, and I felt it wasteful to trim it away. As the kirtle is hidden by the outer layer, I found this an acceptable break from period aesthetics.

The coat is made from a darker brown wool, with bodice and sleeves lined with muslin/calico. Due to time constraints, many interior seams are machine stitched, and other seams are machine finished. None of these are visible on the outside. I scaled up the coat bodice and sleeve pattern from the book and made multiple toiles before I was satisfied with the fit. As the coat didn’t have enough overlap to my liking for buttons, I used a hidden lacing strip to close the coat with minimal gapping.

The pattern from the cap is also taken from the book, but knitted on size 0 rather than size 3 needles. The purchased yarn is handspun and undyed. After knitting, the cap was fulled until it approximated the desired size. My model is Dalya, a 45cm doll.

Gravatar
aylwen  
  I admire those able to work in miniature - it must present a challenge of its own. Lovely :)  
 
Gravatar
Jeanette  
Doll   Nicely done. My mother used to make costumes for dolls (Barbie style). A lot of work goes into it and your fingers need to be flexible to work in tight spaces.  
 
Gravatar
jeanette  
  Nice work. My mother used to costume Barbie dolls. It takes a lot of flexibility in you hands to get into small spaces.Kudos  
 
Gravatar
pollyanna  
So tiny... and so clever!   I've made Tudor clothing and it's tricky enough... but you've managed it in miniature. Wow! I applaud your care and attention to detail, and your teeny tiny stitches. This has all the beautiful authenticity you'd expect from the full-size originals and would be a wonderful tool for teaching school groups about costume history. Brilliant work.  
 

1000 Characters left


 

Go to top