Wardrobe/Foundations Contest 2018
Submissions are now closed.
The 2018 "Insects" entries will appear at Foundations Revealed on March 2nd 2018 for voting.
A new Theme will be announced in late March to launch the 2019 Competition.
Winning entries in 2017: by Cynthia Settje, Breanna Bayba, Rachel Castle, Maya Langouche,
Cynthia Settje again, Elinor Lloyd-Philipps, Susanna Antonsson, and Charlotte Thomasius
Want to have fun, grow your skills, get noticed, be admired, and perhaps even win a big prize?
Your Wardrobe Unlock'd™ and Foundations Revealed™ are all about encouraging you to raise your game and make better costumes, corsets and foundationwear in the style of times gone by. One of the ways we do this is through our annual Contest, which challenges and inspires you to show off what you've learnt!
You don't have to be a world class maker to take part! We have categories and prizes for all skill levels - Beginners, Improvers and Experienced. The point of the Contest is to get you trying things you wouldn't normally try, and stretching a little way outside YOUR personal comfort zone, in a safe, supportive environment. It's about having a go, encouraging each other, and being brave. Don't underestimate yourself! Have a go!
- One Winner in each skill category will receive a $300 gift certificate for the online store of their choice, a year's free subscription to our sites, and a specially designed 'Winner' icon to place on their website, blog or profile.
- One Runner-up in each category will receive a $100 gift certificate for the online store of their choice, six months' free subscription to our sites, and a specially designed 'Runner-up' icon to place on their website, blog or profile.
- The remainder of the Finalists in each category will receive three months' free subscription to our sites, and a specially designed ‘Finalist’ icon to place on their website, blog or profile.
All entries are uploaded to the website and displayed publicly during our week of voting, to be celebrated, admired and supported by everyone (with a link back to your site if you wish to use this as a promotional opportunity for your work).
And that's the real point. The comments give you a great boost from like-minded enthusiasts, you give others the opportunity to admire and learn from your experience, and those of you with more confidence will get the publicity you might be looking for.
PLEASE NOTE: There are quite a number of changes to the Rules and entry process this year. Please review the Official Rules and Entry Form before you plan your Entry so that you're up to speed.
"I took this contest to try out new techniques and it really helped me progress!" - Emilie Derville, France
"I loved having a set theme and deadline which made me actually start (and more importantly finish) working on something." - Anonymous survey response
"It is challenging, very inspiring, great source of eye-candy and fun above all."- Anonymous survey response
2018 Theme: Insects
Exotic Butterflies by Shubina Arina
Butterflies, moths, wasps, bees, ladybugs, ants, dragonflies... the possibilities are endless. Make a costume with gossamer wings, make your corset echo a thorax and abdomen, or sew little beasties on in profusion. Get abstract and use beetle wings or cochineal. Recreate Doucet's bees dress, or Worth's butterflies, or Victorian fancy dress, or take your inspiration from something more futuristic by McQueen or Mugler. But one rule remains - an insect has six legs. No snails, no spiders!
Perhaps you could look for meaning in Napoleon's hard working bee, or embody the transformation and rebirth of the butterfly, or the fleeting transience of the mayfly. Be beautiful, be fragile, or swarm in, dark and dangerous. Be a delicate dream or a disturbing nightmare. It's up to you... but why not start here, with our Pinterest board?
Beauty on the Shrub by Ma Chan
Get your own Fairy Godmother
Have you set an intention to enter the Competition in the past, but didn't follow through?
Need a little help getting a great Contest entry together this year?
We can help. Wardrobe and Foundations have levelled up dramatically this year. We can now offer you the Group Mentoring you need to
- Plan an achievable Contest entry that stretches you a little, but not too much
- Find the patterns and resources to make your idea a reality
- Get expert feedback on your mock-ups and toiles, whether you're looking for an accurate historical silhouette or just a fit that looks and feels stunning
- Mentor and encourage you throughout the year so that you stay on track in a group of like-minded, ambitious makers.
The best part? Group Mentoring is now an integral part of Your Wardrobe Unlock'd and/or Foundations Revealed Membership.
Read more about the benefits of Membership, and become a Member today.