Log in

Log in

My Account    |    Sign Up!

YWU2014 Runner Up!

This dress is based on the painting “On the Thames” by James Tissot from 1874. I fell in love with the details of the dress and wanted to try to recreate these details on a gown of my own. As a relatively new costumer, just about one year and self-taught, this made quite an interesting project. I set the bar pretty high, one complete costume including undergarments and accessories. Primarily, the patterns I used were historical patterns from the book “Bustle Fashions 1885 – 1887” that I altered to my personal taste.

Undergarments:  I reused the cotton drawers and chemise decorated with eyelet lace that I had sewn for my first Victorian dress, but I had to make a new petticoat with integral bustle to attain the silhouette that I was trying to realise. The corset was drafted using the FR article on “How to draft your own corset pattern”. It didn’t quite work out the way I wanted it to, so I might have to try sewing another one someday.

Main Dress: Skirt and bodice are made of rose print cotton fabric I ordered on the internet. When it arrived it turned out it was much brighter than I had anticipated, so I had to dye it to match the colour of the dress in the painting. Since you can see neither the sides nor the back of the dress I just made it up, after having done some research on how dresses might have looked in those days.

Accessories: In addition to undergarments and main dress, I set out to make as many accessories as I could. I recreated the hat from the original painting using the trial-and-error method. I really love the way it looks, even though it turned out to be a bit too small to fit on my head neatly. I actually bought the lace gloves, but then altered them by removing the fingertips and sewing rubber straps to the openings so they would look like the ones in the painting.

I have been working on this project since October 2013. I can’t believe that this competition is now coming to a close. I made numerous mistakes that had to be undone and corrected and there were many road blocks and detours along the way, which required rethinking the designs or taking a different route to get to the finish line. I have pretty much completed almost everything that I set out to do and I can say that I am very pleased with the completed costume and its overall period silhouette.

 

Diana Arua Diana Arua
Diana Arua Diana Arua
Diana Arua Diana Arua
Diana Arua Diana Arua

 

 

Gravatar
Very pretty
All you're missing are the two gents to help you onto the dock! Nicely done, and the print fabric is spot-on. smile
Gravatar
Wonderful!
I'm so impressed of both that you dare to dive into such a difficult project and that you pull it of like a professional. You have certainly got a new fan! =)

Gravatar
Awe inspiring!
Hi Diana

What an incredible achievement for a beginner! You must be very proud. Your work is inspiring in endeavour and accomplishment!

Well done and good luck!

Olivia

Gravatar
bmespo
You look just like the painting! You have captured the silhouette perfectly, the dress is lovely and I really like the hat!
Gravatar
aylwen
Beautiful fabric matching :) and you look just like the picture!
Gravatar
costumespangles
You really did this beautiful painting justice, the fabric you chose is just perfect and I absolutely love the hat! Trial and error is usually the best way with hats I find. :)

The only thing you need now are two admiring sailors!

Gravatar
fab!!
I really like the choice of fabric here and looks like such a fun photoshoot!!
Gravatar
alexafaie
I was busy last week and didn't have the time to view entries or vote, came by today to vote to find its all over.
Just wanted to say that I would have voted for you as I've always adored this painting myself and I think you did an amazing job of recreating it!

Gravatar
hepziba
This is so heavily awesome! Beautifully done!

1000 Characters left


Go to top