I fell in love with this dress the minute I saw it many years ago, and was determined that I would reproduce it just as soon as I could do it properly. As luck would have it, last summer I happened upon some beautiful white cotton voile, and even though it was not the gauze that was originally used to make the gown, I knew that it would be perfect.
I started with Truly Victorian’s wonderful patterns and started tweaking away. After several mock-ups I decided to go with a shallower angle on the bottom of the overskirt. I am very happy with how it turned out; I especially love the gathered pleats. After some debate I decided I didn’t like the gathers on the back of the bodice, so I did away with those altogether. If there was one part of this gown that frustrated me it was the sleeves. I was never able to get my pintuck gathers to be as full as the ones on the original, nor is the lace on my sleeves as prominent. I also think that the sleeves on the original are longer, but all in all I am happy with how the bodice turned out.
My gown was constructed using materials that were as closed to authentic as I could get. For the overlay I used the aforementioned 100% cotton voile. The underlining fabric was 100% cotton lawn and the bodice was interlined with 100% cotton twill. I was lucky enough to find 100% cotton leaver's lace and though it is not an exact replica of the lace used on the original, I still think it is very pretty.
The gown was entirely sewn using cotton thread on my modern sewing machine because I have yet to get my treadle machine up and running. I absolutely love this gown and wish that the pictures did justice to its lightness and airiness.
See more at Kelly's blog.