The inspiration for this dress was to copy a pink house dress from the cover of 'The Modern Priscilla' Magazine from 1917. After some research on house dresses though I feel like my dress could pass for somewhere between 1915-1917. Since the magazine only gives a side view I had a little room for creativity but I focused on a few things from the original to make sure I was copying it; the pink color of course, the white sleeve cuffs and the pointed collar, the slight poofiness to the back of the blouse and the not overly full skirt.
I looked at a lot of original patterns and their diagrams and decided to use elastic at the waist and no closures based on a 1914 and 1916 dress pattern that appeared to be elasticized. I've never done anything in this era before and didn't do very well drafting a pattern so I started with the pattern Butterick 6093 as a basis and tweaked that to suit my needs. I did end up keeping the skirt detail from the pattern. The pattern also had the crossing neckline that I needed for my dress, a detail that I found was very common across the many house dress patterns I looked at.
I did machine sew this dress because I figured for this time period a dress like this could have been machine sewn over hand stitched.
I used pink and white cotton for my fabrics and some lace at the neckline.